venerdì 18 ottobre 2013

To the attention of the WTC (thanks teacher!)


Dear Sirs,

I take the liberty of writing to you because I strongly believe that everyone has the right to pursue a dream, at least one in his lifetime. Mine, like every other triathlete, would materialize by participating in the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon World Championship.
I’m aware of the rules for participation and that is why I would try to wring  a promise from you. I do not think I'll ever qualify or win a slot to go to Kailua-Kona. My job typically takes me up ten hours a day and I try to spend as much time with my family as possible. This implies a maximum of four workouts per week. You can well understand that, under these conditions, it is quite impossible to get ready to go strong enough as to be able to win a slot in my category.
Someone might point out that, under these conditions, it is impossible for an ironman to get proper training ... but he can. In fact, up to now I can boast of being a finisher after three 70.3 distance races finished in Pescara-Italy (2011-2012-2013) as well as of being a Frankfurt Ironman finisher (2012). My goal as a triathlete is to be able to race every year in a 70.3 and every five years in a full-distance ironman event (WTC circuit races). I am sure you can understand how passionate I am, but my great passion also faces with real difficulties.
My request, which I’m explaining below, stems from the need to plan in the long term my possible participation in the world championship, that is knowing in advance “the date” of the longest day of my life. I can only trust to luck.  By enrolling in the lottery maybe I could be chosen for 2014 in which case I would face with many problems: lack of adequate training, financial difficulties, problems at work. By planning in the long run instead, and knowing the exact year of participation, I could arrange everything with total confidence, giving all my best and asking my family for their great support and sacrifices.
Now allow me to express my request.
I would like to ask the organization to kindly assure my participation in Kailua-Kona for 2032! Yes, you read that right. To celebrate my sixtieth birthday I would like to participate in the world championship. The way I celebrated my 40 years completing my first Ironman (Frankfurt 2012) is how I dream of celebrating in 2032. How can I wring this promise from you? What can I do to convince you to make my dream come true? I would be willing to enroll every year in the lottery to be, coincidentally, selected in 2032.
I look forward to your response, I still have 19 years to convince you.
Kindest regards,
Mauro Covotta, Italy
Email address: maurocovotta@libero.it

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento